Wednesday, March 26, 2014

One Pot Tomato Basil Pasta

Seriously, can I just tell ya'll how much I love these one pot dishes?! What's your favorite one pot dish? Please share!  This one was delicious! I loved how fresh tasting it was, I had no guilt eating pasta w/ this dish, especially b/c I used whole grain noodles.  My kids even gobbled it all up, which was amazing, b/c it had a little kick to it...which I love a little kick!  This was the perfect dish to make a few days ago for our lazy Sunday.  After church, much needed Sunday naps and playing w/ our kiddos, I didn't feel like making anything time consuming, especially b/c I didn't prep for anything ahead of time.  So, this was perfect! It took no time at all to make and was very filling.  Let me know what ya'll think! And seriously, no joke, plz share any of your favorite one pot dishes.




The ingredients, that's it! All in one dish!

After sauteing the sausage throw everything into the same dish.

After simmering and reducing heat, add in salt and pepper and mix in all remaining liquids.

Serve and top off w/ Parmesan cheese.

One Pot Tomato Basil Pasta

1 lb Turkey Sausage sliced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
12 ounces linguine pasta
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid ( I used the spicy red pepper style)
1 medium sweet onion, cut in 1/4 inch julienne strips
4 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
4 1/2 cups vegetable broth* (use regular broth and NOT low sodium)
1 bunch (about 10 to 12 leaves) basil, diced
Parmesan cheese for garnish
Heat oil and saute sliced sausage until browned in a large pot. Place pasta, tomatoes, onion, basil leaves and garlic in the same pot. Pour in vegetable broth. Sprinkle on top the pepper flakes and oregano.
Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and keep covered and cook for about 10 minutes, take lid off and let simmer until almost all liquid has evaporated – I left about an inch of liquid in the bottom of the pot – but you can reduce as desired stirring every 2 minutes or so.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Stir pasta several times to distribute the liquid in the bottom of the pot evenly throughout the pasta as you are serving. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
*I used 1 box (4 cups) of broth and 1/2 cup water.
Other one-pot pasta dishes:
One Pot Cheesy Sausage Pasta


Recipe Adapted from: Apron Strings

No comments: