Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Pasta

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter!  I know I did :)  My sister, Bonny, came and visited for a week and just left early yesterday morning.  We had a fun filled week of shopping, eating and of course Easter events.  So now that she's gone I'm back to business, and here's what I have for ya!  A yummy Chicken Enchilada Pasta, seriously, it sounds a little weird, but trust me, it's amazing!  I've never had anything quite like this before.  A Mexican dish w/ pasta.  I have never really topped pastas off w/ anything more than cheese and maybe chives or whatever.  But, I can't imagine not using the extra topping on this pasta, it totally adds even more to the deliciousness.  Trust me, make it, you'll love it.  It's been a while since I made this, and just adding this recipe reminds me I need to make it, very soon, today if I had all the ingredients ;)




cook onions for about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic, onion & red pepper and cook for another 3-5 minutes. 

Add cooked chicken, green chiles, cumin, chili powder, salt, and...

enchilada sauces. Let sauce simmer for about 8-10 minutes.

Add cheese and stir until the cheese is melted and heated through. Now toss in the sour cream, but DO NOT bring to a boil! Cook on low heat or the sour cream will curdle. Gross. Stir until sour cream is well mixed and heated through.

 Drain pasta & return to pot. Pour sauce over pasta and mix well. 

Serve and garnish with avocado, tomato, green onion, and a dollop of sour cream.

So good!  I'm gonna make this again real soon!

CHICKEN ENCHILADA PASTA


2-3 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded {or shredded rotisserie chicken…I used the breasts}
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 {4 oz.} can diced green chiles
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
2 {10 oz.} cans green chili enchilada sauce
2/3 cups red enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded cheese {I used colby & monterrey jack}
1 cup sour cream
Penne pasta

Optional toppings
Avocado
Green Onions
Black Olives
Tomatoes
Sour Cream


Cook chicken, drain, and shred {or shred your rotisserie}. Meanwhile boil pasta according to package and chop the veggies. The most time consuming part of this recipe is the time spent chopping the veggies. Y’all…it took like, 5 minutes (worth it).

Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet and cook onions for about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic & red pepper and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Add cooked chicken, green chiles, cumin, chili powder, salt, & enchilada sauces. Let sauce simmer for about 8-10 minutes. 

Add cheese and stir until the cheese is melted and heated through. Now toss in the sour cream, but whatever you do, DO NOT bring to a boil! Cook on low heat or the sour cream will curdle.  Ugh. Stir until sour cream is well mixed and heated through.  Drain pasta & return to pot. Pour sauce over pasta and mix well. Serve and garnish with avocado, tomato, green onion, and a dollop of sour cream.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Brook and Jason :) said...

Holy cow! This was SO DELICIOUS! Definately one of our new favorites! Don't EVER delete this post- I will be back to make it again for sure!!