Saturday, March 10, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Soup

Here's another low cal recipe!  It was very easy to make and tastes great too.  I love recipes you can throw everything together in one dish and have it ready to eat later.  This is a crock pot dish, but you can make it on the stove-top as well.



All of the ingredients.  I used red enchilada sauce the first time I made it, and recently I used green enchilada sauce b/c I was out of the red.  I liked it both ways, maybe a little better w/ the red.

The first time I made this I didn't have enough time to cook in the crock pot so I used a large pot on the stove.  It worked out just fine.  The 2nd time I made this I used the crock pot, which was of course even easier b/c you get to throw your chicken in frozen and then shred.

Combine drained beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, and bell pepper.   And here's where you would place 2 chicken breasts on top.

Whisk together enchilada sauce and soup. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth.

Add to soup.


If you're using your stove top, here's where you would add in your shredded precooked chicken.  Let simmer for at least 20 minutes. 

Serve w/ Pepper Jack Cheese, Sour Cream and tortilla or Frito chips.

Chicken Enchilada Soup

1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes

1 10-ounce package frozen whole kernel corn
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped yellow, green, or red bell pepper

1 10-ounce can enchilada sauce (I have used both red and green enchilada sauce, use whatever is your favorite.)
1 10.75-ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cups milk

1 cup shredded Pepper jack cheese (4 ounces)
2 chicken breasts


In a 3 1/2 to 5 quart slow cooker, combine drained beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, and bell pepper. Place 2 chicken breasts on top of mixture. In a large bowl, whisk together enchilada sauce and soup. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Pour sauce mixture over ingredients in cooker.Cover; cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Remove chicken and cut or shred into bite sized pieces. Add chicken back into soup. Top with pepper jack cheese and serve. Can also be topped with avocado, sour cream, or crushed tortilla chips. Note: if the soup is too thick for you, just add a little more milk after it’s all cooked.  Enjoy!

**You can also cook it on the stove top by cooking the chicken separate and following the above directions for preparing the rest of the soup in a large pot and then mix in the pre-cooked, shredded chicken.  Let simmer for at least 20 minutes.

2 comments:

Jill said...

It looks delish, I'm going to be making it sometime this week Ü
I noticed in the picture of the ingredients you have cream of mushroom soup, but in the list of ingredients you have cream of chicken soup. Which one is right??

Brittany said...

Haha I don't even remember what I was thinking here! I'm betting I accidentally used the wrong soup or I just substituted it. Either way it's supposed to be cream of chicken. Sorry! Let me know how it turns out :)